Cervical Flexion Syndrome
Neck pain due to an excessively straight neck and poor tolerance for cervical flexion. Straightening the neck or flexing the neck will cause pain. This is typical in an individual who has been participating in activities to practice “perfect posture” such as a military or dance posture. This “perfect posture” actually emphasizes excessive thoracic extension and therefore the individual has to compensate through the cervical spine into flexion.
Kinetic Control / Uncontrolled Movement Tests:
- Lower Cervical Flexion Control Tests:
- Occiput Lift Test
- Thoracic Flexion Test
- Overhead Arm Lift Test
- Upper Cervical Flexion Control Tests:
- Forward Head Lean Test
- Arm Extension Test
- Improve activation and strength of intrinsic cervical extensors.
- Improve thoracic flexion during every day activities.
- Cue increased cervical extension during regular posture.
These are primarily sourced from work by the great Shirley Sahrmann PhD. I use these pages as a personal reference for this type of information.